A qualified Speech and Language Therapist, graduating at University College London in 1989. I worked within the NHS for 12 years in community clinics, schools, a language unit and a school for the Deaf. This involved developing all aspects of children's communication through both sign and oral language.
I have also been working as an independent speech and language therapist for the last 18 years and I am registered with the following professional organisations:
- The Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) as required by law
- The Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP), which provides professional guidelines to all independent therapists and access to support and training information
- The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT), the UK professional body for Speech and Language Therapists.
I have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS) (required by schools) and maintain my professional development by attending training courses and keeping up to date with new research. Further training undertaken includes:
- Makaton signing
- BSL (British Sign Language - Stage 2)
- Talk Tools - an oral motor programme
- Working with the Hearing Impaired
- Auditory Processing Problems
- Active listening Skills